This course is designed to develop the mindset of a holistic thinker or inter-disciplinarian and that of a knowledge explorer, a participant observer and citizen leader in a culturally-diverse and interdependent world. The course is organized around instructional units and a number of related modules. It is based on a principle of ‘information-giving, information-receiving, and information-exchanging.’ Emphasis is placed on reading, reflection, web resources and enrichment lectures, action research, writing, dialogue, and debate.
- Understand the theory and practice of Interdisciplinary Studies
- Become acquainted with some of the key thinkers in various disciplines
- Acquire the requisite skills and attitudes to function effectively as a working professional and citizen leader in a pluralistic world community
- Identify concepts within disciplines and recognize the interdependent variables between disciplines
- Become aware of some of the major traditions, themes, and questions of our time
- Integrate and synthesize content from various disciplines
- Understand the basis of creative and critical thinking
- Use information technology for reliable and valid data collection for developing considered opinions
- Make informed decisions about their course selections
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences