Focus on the integration of knowledge across various disciplines, essential to a critical and interdisciplinary approach. Emphasis on the interconnectedness of different fields of knowledge central to broad, critical, and holistic view of education.
- Understand the theory and practice of General Studies from a critical and interdisciplinary perspective.
- Discuss some of the most important thinkers in selected disciplines.
- Acquire the requisite knowledge, skills, and attitudes to function effectively as citizens and within a work or professional environment.
- Identify major trends, traditions, themes, and issues that predominate within the contemporary world.
- Interpret knowledge content from various disciplines.
- Understand basic elements of creative and critical thinking.
- Use information technology as a means of reliable and valid data collection in developing personal opinions.
- Make informed decisions regarding future course offerings within the General Studies major.
Students are required to post on one-half page discussion essay per week. Students will be further required to post two interactive responses to two classmates’ posts for each week (20 percent of grade). Students are required to post weekly comments in a journal reflecting on the course readings, discussions, and overall assessment of individual progress in the course (20 percent). Students must submit an essay, which is to be revised in response to instructor and classmates feedback (30 percent). Students must also participate in peer review, library orientation, complete three worksheets, and visit the online writing center (20 percent). Students must begin a portfolio that will be developed over the course of their academic program and submitted to BGS (the capstone course) as a requirement for completing the General Studies degree.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 175,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences