First of a two-course field practicum where students work as MFT or LPCC trainees. Students participate in an academic seminar for six months at the university. Students must complete a minimum of 125 hours of face-to-face work with clients at a clinical site. This class will meet outside of regular class hours.
- Apply entry-level counseling techniques with clients in a community setting.
- Demonstrate the ability to accept and integrate clinical supervision.
- Construct a clinical assessment and diagnosis from the DSM, strength-based, and recovery model perspectives.
- Develop a treatment plan based on the clinical assessment.
- Integrate the identification of transference and counter-transference issues into the treatment plan for clients.
- Present a professional clinical case presentation.
- Demonstrate the ability to distinguish human diversity from psychopathology.
- Apply legal and ethical standards to clinical work.
- Apply case management skills to identify resources and potential referrals to assist clients to become more autonomous and successful in their life.
- Write appropriate intake assessments, treatment plans, and progress notes.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences