Psychology of Trauma
Psychology of Trauma
This course is an examination of trauma with a focus on the sources of trauma and the distinctions between them. Relational violence is studied as a specific example of trauma. An emphasis is placed on empirically-based assessment and intervention of the different trauma-related disorders. Crisis counseling and multi-disciplinary treatment is also covered.
- Differentiate between the various sources of trauma and the implications for treatment.
- Assess various responses to trauma, using relational violence as an example, from the resilience, recovery, and medical models.
- Compare and contrast the different forms of relational violence and the implications for treatment.
- Formulate a differential diagnosis based on the symptoms and diagnostic criteria for Acute Stress Disorder and Post-Traumatic Disorder.
- Develop a treatment plan for trauma resulting from different forms of relational violence.
- Assess the potential outcomes of the major forms of trauma-related disorders.
- Integrate the process of recovery with community based resources for support, for example Victims of Violent Crimes and various other support groups.
- Assess the need for referral for medical evaluation.
- Discuss the application of crisis intervention techniques with clients.
- Formulate an inter-disciplinary treatment approach to clients in crisis or who have experienced a traumatic event.
- Discuss the role and needs of first-responders in the treatment of trauma.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences