This course explores the biological basis of human behavior as it pertains to professional counselors. An emphasis is placed on drugs used in the treatment of psychological disorders. Functional neuroanatomy and experience-dependent brain plasticity are explored.
- Distinguish between the basic brain structures and functional systems that are implicated in psychopathology.
- Evaluate the ways in which social experience impacts the development and functioning of brain systems and related psychological processes.
- Evaluate the psychotherapeutic implications of the effects of trauma on functional brain development.
- Compare and contrast the major classes of psychotropic agents, including the ability to differentiate more commonly used agents.
- Formulate appropriate psychosocial interventions utilizing information about common drug effects, side effects, and drug interactions.
- Construct ways to help clients access relevant information regarding psychotropic drugs.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences