Overview of career and lifespan development theories and skills, including how personal growth and life stages impacts individuals and society. Emphasis is on understanding career and job choices and personal strategies for career decision-making. Students become acquainted with print and electronic resources, counseling techniques, and assessment instruments.
- Demonstrate understanding of career development theories and decision making models
- Demonstrate ability to use career, avocational, educational, occupational and labor market information resources, visual and print media, computer-based career information systems, and other electronic career information systems
- Demonstrate awareness of the interrelationships among and between work, family, and other life roles and factors including the role of diversity and gender in career development
- Demonstrate ability to use assessment instruments and techniques that are relevant to career planning and decision making
- Demonstrate ability to access and use technology-based career development applications and strategies, including computer-assisted career guidance and information systems and appropriate world-wide web sites
- Demonstrate knowledge of career counseling processes, techniques, and resources, including those applicable to specific populations
- Demonstrate ability to identify ethical and legal issues and considerations related to career counseling
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences