Exploration of the role of culture in concepts of mental health practice. Students will examine how their own cultural background frames their understanding of themselves and others. Family heritage, culturally informed assessment and treatment, and the limitations of the dominant Eurocentric psychological world view to diverse populations is explored.
- Analyze the relationship between culture and mental health.
- Evaluate the influence of the therapist’s own ethnicity, cultural heritage, and biases on the therapeutic relationship and process.
- Compare and contrast holistic and individualistic cultures as they influence behavior, values, emotion, power relations, and patterns of mental distress and healing.
- Formulate a culturally appropriate treatment philosophy and plan for clients.
- Discuss the limitations of DSM-based categories with non-Western people, including culturally aligned alternatives.
- Conduct culturally informed interventions in diverse mental health settings.
- Employ culturally appropriate assessment methods.
- Analyze different concepts of culture and the impact of various cultural viewpoints in the theory and practice of psychotherapy.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences