This course examines assessment techniques, perspectives, and strategies essential to the treatment of children and adolescents. It also includes the therapeutic relationship, assessment and diagnosis, evidence-based treatment, family systems perspective, and legal/ethical concerns related to working with children and adolescents. Public settings and treatment based on cultural awareness as well as the recovery/resiliency model are covered.
- Assess and diagnose child and adolescent disorders.
- Formulate an age-appropriate treatment plan incorporating resilience and recovery model principles.
- Generate a family picture by gathering information for a family history and assessing the impact of family dynamics on the presenting problems.
- Assess children and adolescents at risk for abuse.
- Demonstrate skills for developing rapport with children and adolescents, considering the impact of socio-economic status, cultural and other environmental factors.
- Explain various theoretical perspectives and treatment interventions used in the treatment of children, adolescents, and their families.
- Demonstrate specific skills necessary for working with children, adolescents and their families in both private practice and public mental health settings, utilizing a multi-disciplinary team approach to treatment.
- Analyze the clinical management of the legal and ethical issues that could arise when working with children, adolescents, and their families.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences