This course provides a comprehensive look at the theories, techniques, and critical issues involved in treating couples. It will provide a focus on major approaches to the treatment of married and unmarried couples, including resilience and recovery models, as well as a survey of research on marriage and marital therapy. Students will have an opportunity to practice counseling sessions with couples in a role-play format.
- Conduct an initial interview to assess the relationship dynamics, resilience, demonstrable psychopathology, and complicating factors of the couple.
- Formulate and write a treatment plan integrating information from the initial interview.
- Assess the impact of ethical, cultural, and gender issues on the treatment of couples.
- Apply psychotherapeutic strategies and techniques, including resilience and recovery models, consistent with a theoretical model.
- Formulate specific interventions with a theoretical model of couple counseling.
- Compare and contrast various theoretical approaches to couples counseling.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 175,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences