Examines the professional laws and ethics pertaining to the practice of counseling and psychotherapy, with an emphasis on the laws and ethics pertaining to the practice of professional counseling, the content of these legal and ethical codes, and the underlying principles involved.
- Articulate relevant legal and ethical responsibilities pertaining to: scope of practice, informed consent, training in the use of assessment instruments, boundaries, dual relationships, informed consent, continuity of treatment, confidentiality, and HIPAA, within the counseling profession.
- Assess dangerousness to self or others and recommend appropriate interventions based on ethical and legal requirements.
- Articulate the laws pertaining to mandated reporting of suspected or known abuse (eg. child, dependent adult, elder) and dangerousness.
- Articulate issues of therapistandapos;s cognitive, emotional or physical limitations, transference, and countertransference on the therapeutic process.
- Demonstrate knowledge of ethical issues pertaining to diagnosis and treatment planning with respect to health insurance and managed care, as well as the importance of the initial therapeutic interview including discussion of fees, office policies, therapeutic process, confidentiality, and therapist responsibilities.
- Demonstrate knowledge of how to document clinical services, securely maintain client records and respond to client’s request for records.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the importance of recognizing the needs, abilities and cultural diversity of clients.
- Demonstrate knowledge of laws and ethical standards regarding sexual contact between therapist and client.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences