Overview of major theoretical concepts, techniques, and their applications the therapeutic setting. Emphasis is on basic interviewing, assessment, and counseling skills that facilitate the helping process through integration of various theoretical models.
- Demonstrate a conceptual and applied understanding of human growth and development and decision making in the counseling process
- Articulate generally-accepted characteristics of effective helpers
- Demonstrate awareness of and respect for individual and cultural differences
- Demonstrate basic therapeutic communication skills
- Demonstrate specific procedures and techniques that facilitate constructive client change associated with the major counseling theories
- Articulate a rationale for differential treatment on the basis of a client’s developmental level, cultural affiliation or problems
- Articulate the major theory with which the counselor’s beliefs most closely align and discuss how the theory’s assumptions regarding human nature, personality development, etiology of maladaptive behavior and conditions for change are consistent with the counselor’s personal beliefs and experiences
- Develop a counseling process and procedures consistent with the counselor’s guiding theory
- Develop a procedure for assessing and matching appropriate interventions from all theoretical perspectives to the client’s presenting needs in a theoretically consistent manner
- Establish and facilitate constructive, safe and ethical relationships with clients
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences