An examination of professional issues in counseling psychology, including concepts of psychological health and disorder, critical thinking, evidence-based treatment, best practices, systems of care, the role of research and how to access/utilize it, and various models of diagnosis and treatment, including the medical model, recovery model, and the multicultural model. An emphasis is placed on exploring the current status of these issues and how they are impacting the practice of psychotherapy.
- Apply critical thinking skills to analysis of contemporary issues in psychotherapy
- Evaluate theories of psychological health and disorder, differentiating the medical model from other theories
- Demonstrate an ability to access and utilize information useful to psychotherapists, especially empirically-based research
- Describe major features of contemporary systems of care in the mental health field
- Analyze the validity and utility of the recovery/resiliency model of treatment as it relates to other models of mental health assessment and treatment.
- Analyze the effectiveness of various treatments for mental disorders, using readings and discussion regarding evidence-based treatment and best practices as a foundation.
There is no signature assignment for this course.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences