Overview of major theories of counseling as they are applied to psychotherapy. Students are expected to acquire and practice knowledge and skills related to development of a good therapeutic relationship and the therapist’s role in promoting communication, insight, and behavior change within the therapeutic setting.
- Demonstrate knowledge of general features of the application of humanistic, psychodynamic, cognitive-behavioral, and common factors paradigms to assessment and intervention.
- Conduct a partial clinical interview or session demonstrating communication skills. Knowledge to be demonstrated using objective formats
- Demonstrate knowledge of the differences between pathology based assessment and strength or wellness based assessment.
- Demonstrate knowledge of a framework for initial intake questioning.
- Demonstrate knowledge of methods to assess client strengths and coping skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge of methods to formulate short- and long-term treatment goals for treatment planning purposes.
- Demonstrate knowledge of strategies to assess therapeutic progress.
- Demonstrate knowledge of disorder-specific interventions for common presenting disorders of adults.
- Demonstrate knowledge of benefits and problems associated with use of empirically validated treatments.
- Demonstrate knowledge of strategies to establish a safe environment for clinical evaluation. Skills to be practiced in class
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences