This course is designed to provide a knowledge base for applying principles of performance excellence in performance areas other than traditional athletics. Topics include foundational skills for performance consulting, required domain specific knowledge, understanding the specific performance context, and how these factors impact effective strategies for working within those systems
- Differentiate performance psychology from both traditional therapy/counseling and sport psychology
- Apply Terenzini’s 3-tier model of consulting to a variety of performance psychology settings.
- Compare and contrast the unique aspects of 3 categories of performance domains: business, high-risk professions, and the performing arts, including attitudes toward consultants and coaching, special knowledge and skills required, and special challenges for each performance area.
- Analyze ways in which traditional sport psychology techniques may be adapted to alternate performance domains.
- Develop a framework for understanding the unique aspects of any performance context that can facilitate effective consulting within that context.
- Critically examine one’s readiness to engage in performance consulting, including potential challenges and solutions to ensure ethical practice.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences