Interrelated historical development of physical education and sport as well as the history and development of sport, exercise, and performance psychology. Topics include the role of the scientific method and applied methods in research and practice, the history of sport, the role of culture and gender in sport and sport psychology, and current trends in sport and applied performance psychology.
- Describe the rise of the scientific method and the worldview of ancient civilizations and Western Europe as a precursor to the development of physical education, sport, and sport psychology.
- Identify and articulate historical debates in philosophy that have and continue to influence the fields of sport psychology and physical education.
- Identify and describe the origins of sport psychology and research within the broader discipline of physical education.
- Discuss the history of sport and its relationship to culture.
- Identify current trends in sport and applied performance psychology.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences