Counseling Diverse Populations
An introduction to diversity and multicultural perspectives in psychology, and their impact on counseling practices. Focus will be on dimensions of culture, ethnicity, life style, religion, gender, identity development models and the effects of privilege and oppression on individuals and groups. Basic multicultural counseling competencies will be presented, with opportunities for student self-examination and practice of strategies and techniques.
- Define, compare, and contrast in written form emic and etic approaches to multicultural counseling. Critique differences between these approaches to client conceptualization, problem descriptions, and treatment.
- Describe their own schemas, values and attitudes associated with their racial identity, religious affiliation, nationality, acculturation, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, gender, age, appearance and abilities in oral or written form. Articulate related personal biases and blind spots that may facilitate or impede the counseling relationship and progress.
- Demonstrate an increased in-depth understanding in written and oral forms of cultural norms, beliefs and values of at least one population that is significantly different from their own culture of origin.
- Demonstrate beginning skills of rapport-building, empathic listening, reflecting, feedback and goal-setting with a range of individuals who are culturally different from them, and whose norms and values may contradict their own through role playing.
- Discuss standardized and psychological testing concerns and limitations when working with diverse populations.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences