A basic examination of the dimensions of group process, dynamics, and practice is the emphasis in this course. Focus is on effective strategies and procedures for facilitating group process practiced by clinicians in the counseling as well as practitioners in human services, criminal justice, behavioral analysis business and education. Opportunities to practice effective strategies with children, adolescents, adults and the elderly will be part of classroom experiences.
- Identify those qualities considered important to the ‘helper’ role in the therapeutic relationship.
- Identify the ethical issues related to the practice of psychotherapy.
- Describe the assumptions originating from ten different theories of psychotherapy regarding the development of personality, major concepts related to the dynamics of personality, definitions of psychotherapy, goals of psychotherapy, and what makes change possible for clients in psychotherapy.
- Identify the techniques or treatment approaches for each theory of psychotherapy presented in this course.
- Present and critique a journal article related to the application of a particular theory of psychotherapy to human problems in terms of benefits and limitations.
- Apply the assumptions from a particular theory of psychotherapy to either a case example or personal history and problem area and identify the therapeutic techniques which might be used to help a client or yourself explore/respond differently to this problem area.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences