A survey of core issues involved in scientific psychological research. Includes the study of the nature of explanation in psychology, the role of theory in research, the connection between research findings and theory, the distinction between experimental and other forms of research, the design of experiments, threats to the validity of research findings, operationalizing psychological concepts in a manner that yields quantitative data and ethical considerations in terms of confidentiality, informed consent and the possibility of doing harm to subjects.
- Explain behavior in terms of the scientific method.
- Develop research ideas and hypothesis.
- Perform library research.
- Choose appropriate research design.
- Make systematic observations.
- Choose subjects.
- Delineate restrictions of the use of human and animal subjects.
- Specify differences in non-experimental, quasi-experimental and developmental research designs.
- Describe the designing, administering, and assessing surveys.
- Determine differences with between-subjects, within-subjects, combined, and single-subject designs.
- Explain how to describe data and use inferential statistics.
- Report research in APA and university formats.
- Describe theories and theory-driven research.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences