Wellness and Engagement in Older Adults examines the coping, expressive, contributive, and influence needs of older adults. Topics include holistic geriatric care, reminiscence and autobiography, wisdom and creativity, lifelong learning, spirituality and contemplative practice, and social and civic engagement.
- Incorporate current theory and relevant research findings in addressing specific topics in wellness and engagement in older adulthood, including the Third Age (PLO 2, 7)
- Compare and contrast existing ‘mend and manage’ approaches to meeting the needs of aging populations and individuals with transformative ‘heal and grow’ approaches that engage older adults themselves (PLO 2, 4)
- Design a strengths-based plan for promoting wellness in older adults that specifically addresses coping and expressive needs (PLO 2, 3)
- Develop strategies for increasing opportunities for older adults to contribute in meaningful ways to their communities, including influencing public policy to effect social change (PLO 2, 3, 6)
- Develop recommendations for promoting wellness and engagement in older adults based on the theory of gerotranscendence (PLO 2, 3)
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences