This course reviews a broad range of topics relating to the personal and interpersonal aspects of aging. Through the major theoretical and methodological traditions in gerontology, the seeming paradox of continuity versus change for older adults in areas relating to self and others: health and wellness promotion, cognitive changes in aging, resilience of older women and elders of color, intergenerational relationships, and social and public policies for older adults.
- Appraise research reports for applicability to specific challenges and opportunities facing older adults and aging societies (PLO 1, 6)
- Develop recommendations for a wellness program for older adults that addresses common chronic diseases and promotes well-being (PLO 1, 2)
- Apply a life course perspective to the assessment of cognitive, emotional, and personality changes or adaptations of older adults (PLO 2, 3, 4)
- Evaluate the capacity of family and community resources for addressing the social support needs of older adults (PLO 1, 3)
- Develop guidelines for providing culturally-competent services to elders of color and for addressing the economic, social support, and intimacy challenges of older women (PLO 1, 3, 4)
- Advocate for wellness and social policies that promote the health and well-being of older adults (PLO 1, 3)
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences