A two-part field practicum in which students work in an approved practicum site doing 255 hours of substance abuse counseling. They also participate in an academic seminar where they discuss their field work. This course is a minimum of 6 months in length.
- Demonstrate ability to formulate a diagnostic impression based on assessment information.
- Demonstrate ability to develop a treatment plan for clients based on assessment, diagnosis, and clinical judgment.
- Demonstrate the ability to establish a therapeutic relationship with clients to facilitate treatment.
- Identify legal and ethical standards involved in specific cases.
- Demonstrate the ability to recognize countertransference issues and make adjustments to counseling techniques.
- Demonstrate competency in case presentation, report writing, and progress notes.
- Accept and integrate feedback from supervisor, practicum instructor, and peers as demonstrated by improved competency in area of feedback
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 165,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences