Dr. Huda Makhluf
Dr. Huda Makhluf earned her PhD in Microbiology and Immunology from the Medical University of South Carolina (Charleston, SC). She conducted her postdoctoral research at Harvard Medical School in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery (Boston, MA) before moving to Baylor College of Medicine (Houston, TX) in the Department of Genetics to carry on her research in bone biology and the molecular mechanisms underlying bone formation.
At National University (La Jolla, CA), Dr. Huda Makhluf teaches upper division courses in Molecular Biology (BIO407, Guided Studies in Biology (BIO480) (BIO490) for majors, Microbiology (BIO203) for pre-allied health majors as well as General Education courses (BIO161) (BIO100) and (FYM104). Dr. Makhluf is involved in Course-based Undergraduate Research Experiences (CUREs) and deploys authentic research opportunities in crowdsourcing antibiotic discovery in BIO203. Dr. Makhluf also collaborates with scientists at the La Jolla Institute for Immunology (La Jolla, CA).
- American Society For Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
- American Society For Cell Biologists
- American Society for Microbiologists
- International Biocuration Society
- Serdyukov, P.,Makhluf, H.. (2014). Growing National University Research Culture:Goals and Steps. Journal of Research in Innovative Teaching, 7(1): 2-12.
- Makhluf, H. A.. (2013). Tracking the evolution of dengue virus strains D2S10 and D2S20 by 454 pyrosequencing. PLOS one,
- Buck, M., Makhluf, H., Shresta, S.. (2013). Animal Models of Dengue Infection and Disease. D. J. Gubler & G. Kuno. Ch 24: .
- Makhluf, H. (2015). Designing Authentic Research Experiences in Undergraduate Microbiology Courses. Conference presented at the Conference on Undergraduate Research- CUR 2015, Norman, Oklahoma.
- Makhluf, H. (2015). Mining The Immune Epitope Database (IEDB) for Ebola Virus Epitopes, an Innovative Approach to Teaching Microbiology and Immunology. Conference presented at the American Society for Microbiology General Meeting 2015, New Orleans- Louisiana.
- Makhluf, H. (2015). Small World Initiative at NU: preliminary results of a student research experience. Poster presented at the American Society for Microbiology Conference for Undergraduate Educators., Austin, TX.
- Makhluf, H. (2014). Praying Mantis: Enhancing Learning Processes Through Intentional Lab Activity Design. Conference presented at the Microbrew session, Danvers, MA.
- Makhluf, H. (2013). Characterization of Key Amino Acid mutations In Dengue Virus Strains D2S10 And D2S20 That Induce Plasma Leakage In Mice. Paper presented at the , Denver, CO.
- Makhluf, H. (2013). Effectively Teaching Gene Expression And Cloning Using Plain Colored Paper, Scissors And Tape: A Student-Centered And Interactive Learning Activity. Paper presented at the , Denver, CO.
- Makhluf, H. (2013). The Degree Qualifications Profile at National University: Lessons Learned on Improving College Degrees Value and Effectiveness. Paper presented at the , Oxford University, Oxford, UK.
- Makhluf, H. (2012). Mining The Immune Epitope Database: a Novel Approach to Learn about Infectious Diseases. Paper presented at the , San Mateo, CA.
- Makhluf, H. (2012). Analysis of Staphylococcus aureus and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus using the Immune Epitope Database (IEDB). Paper presented at the , Georgetown University, DC.
- Makhluf, H. (2010). Analysis of a Dengue Viral Strain that Induces Plasma Leakage in Mice. Paper presented at the , San Diego, CA.
- Makhluf, H. (2009). Sequence Analysis of Mouse-Passaged Dengue 1 Strain (D1S15) That Induces Plasma Leakage in Mice. Paper presented at the , La Jolla, CA.
- Makhluf, H. (2007). The Immune Epitope Database and Analysis resource: A searchable open access repository of infectious and noninfectious disease. Conference presented at the The 2nd International Biocurator meeting, San Jose, CA.
Dr. Huda Makhluf
College: College of Letters and Sciences
Department: Mathematics & Natural Sciences
Torrey Pines South Campus