Examination of relationships between geographical features of the earth and human societies. Includes the study of map construction, mapping tools, geographical data, and the influence of geomorphological features on the development and spatial distribution of political systems, languages, and religions.
- Describe the concepts of map scale and projections, ordinal directions, latitude and longitude, the equator, the prime meridian, and time zones.
- Discuss the history of geography, cartography, and the mapping of the world.
- Identify and interpret major geographical features of the earth’s surface, including continents and land masses, mountain ranges (including oceanic ranges), bioclimatic zones, and major bodies of water (oceanic, freshwater, and groundwater).
- Utilize tools and technologies in geography, including mapping resources based on aerial photography, satellite imaging, global positioning systems, human surveys, radio tagging, geographical information systems, computer graphics and image processing.
- Explain the influence of geographical location on a state’s economic and political development.
- Discuss the development and the geographical diffusion of language and religion.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences