Foundations of Geometry
A discussion of fundamental ideas and processes common to Euclidean and Non-Euclidean Geometries: projective, affine and metric geometry. Examines the interplay between inductive and deductive reasoning and formal and informal proof. Addresses uses in science (transformations, scaling), art (Escher-type tessellations, projections), architecture (three-dimensional figures) and computer science (fractals, computer-aided design).
- Compare and contrast projective geometry as generalizations of Euclidean geometry.
- Compare and contrast projective geometry as developed from a set of axioms or from groups of transformations.
- Discuss practical applications of projective geometry (including matrices).
- Discuss the concepts of duality, harmonic sets, and involutions.
- Discuss Brouwer’s fixed point theorem and its practical applications.
- Discuss the map-coloring problem and the controversy of its computer proof.
- Explain Euler’s formula and construct a Mobius strip.
- Describe the various attempts to prove the Fifth Postulate and the social climate of the times and countries.
- Compare and contrast Euclidean, hyperbolic geometry and elliptic geometry.
- Discuss the concept of parallax and describe how modern scientists use non-Euclidean geometry to attempt to describe the physical nature of the universe.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences