Modeling of the Environment
Modeling of the Environment
A course offering a thorough and useful beginning-level understanding of mathematical modeling. Examines diverse applications from the physical, biological, business, social and computer sciences. Discusses the limitations, as well as the capabilities, of models applied in understanding the real world and its inhabitants.
- Enter data into the computer and plot equations. The student will also determine variable dependency and characterize data.
- Solve equations on the computer, substitute data points into equations, and manipulate the equations, and manipulate the equations on the screen.
- Understand the concept of a linear model on the computer to describe appropriate data.
- Formulate an appropriate linear model to describe carbon dioxide concentration in the atmosphere, global warming and ocean level fluctuations.
- Formulate an appropriate quadratic model to describe carbon dioxide emissions from autos and power consumption in the U.S. or other appropriate problems.
- Understand the concept of a quadratic relationship and the difference to other models. The student will be able to develop a quadratic model on a computer to describe appropriate data.
- Understand the concepts of exponential and logarithmic relationships and their difference from other models.
- Summarize models to environmental or economic problems such as those connecting carbon dioxide emissions, people and money, models of the gross national product, population growth, and the efficiency of alternative energy sources developed.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences