An introduction to statistics and probability theory. Covers simple probability distributions, conditional probability (Bayes Rule), independence, expected value, binomial distributions, the Central Limit Theorem, hypothesis testing. Assignments may utilize the MiniTab software, or text-accompanying course-ware. Computers are available at the University’s computer lab. Calculator with statistical functions is required.
- Use statistical vocabulary.
- Construct various frequency distributions of grouped and ungrouped data.
- Calculate and interpret descriptive statistics of samples and populations. (Measures of central tendency, measures of dispersion.)
- Calculate simple probabilities.
- Find the mean and variance of a probability distribution including the binomial distribution.
- Understand and calculate expected values.
- Calculate the probabilities or scores of normal distributions and the normal approximation of the binomial distribution.
- Use the Central Limit Theorem to calculate the probabilities of the mean for any distribution.
- Formulate, calculate and interpret hypotheses test for one parameter and to compare two parameters, for both large and Small samples, Z and T for one two samples.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences