Fundamentals of Mathematics I
A study of the real number system and its subsystems, ancient and modern numeration systems, problem-solving and simple number theory. Includes teaching materials and discussion of today’s professional organizations. This is a content course, not a methods course.
- Describe historically significant contributions to the development of mathematics.
- Differentiate between and use inductive and deductive reasoning.
- Develop a list of problem-solving strategies.
- Find sums, terms, understand notation for arithmetic, geometric, binary, Fibonacci and power sequences.
- Understand the concept of function and what is meant by variable, domain, range, rate of change for linear, quadratic, logarithmic, exponential and other functions.
- Use interpolation and extrapolation.
- Use scientific notation.
- Recognize the platonic solids, the semiregular polyhedra, perform elementary constructions, and measurements.
- Use manipulatives to explain operations.
- Know the properties of the real number system.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences