Forensic identification, analysis, and comparison of the biological evidentiary samples. Electrophoresis, DNA extraction and purification procedures. Polymerase chain reaction (PCR), and methods of genetics and DNA analysis and detection. Casework training and students will get hands-on experience.
- Explain how the forensic serology discipline utilizes the genetic markers typing and DNA profiling, in criminal investigations, to associate a person, place, or item with a crime, and in civil applications, such as paternity testing, baby mix-up, and as an aid in identifying individuals.
- Describe methods of red cell antigens, serum/plasma, red cell enzyme analysis and DNA profiling.
- Recognize the significance of maintaining chain-of-custody of the samples and applying the laboratory safety measures.
- Know the significance and value of quality assurance and quality control.
- Explain fully the duties of the serologist/DNA analyst as expert witness.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences