The principles and methods of the macroscopic examinations and the microscopic, chemical, and instrumental analysis of trace and patterned evidence. Hair, fibers, glass, soil, paint, GSR, arson, explosives, fingerprint, and other patterned evidence will be covered in this class. The principles of chain of custody will be studied.
- Identify items of trace evidence at crime scenes.
- Collect and preserve trace evidence for laboratory examinations.
- Identify categories of trace evidence.
- Describe the methods used for analysis and comparison of the recovered physical evidence.
- Describe proper procedures for documentation of laboratory test results and report preparation.
- Identify fundamental procedures and best practice for expert witness testimony.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 165,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences