Examination of the interactions between oceanographic, geological and astronomical processes on the physical and living components of the World’s oceans. Includes interactions between the ocean and the atmosphere and how these interactions affect currents, weather and biological activity.
- Understand the basic principles of functional morphology, the uniqueness of the ocean habitat, zoogeography of marine organisms, evolutionary ecology and the species, diversity of life in the sea, reproductive biology, and feeding specializations of marine organisms.
- Explain taxonomy, hierarchical classification, and the species concept.
- Know the basic principles of physical marine science, including geology, formation and topography of the sea floor; chemistry and physics of the ocean; and astronomical influences.
- Identify and describe the natural history of the major groups of organisms that inhabit the ocean. To fulfill this major outcome, students will name, recognize and identify the structures, functional morphology and biology of 15 species of the kingdoms Archaebacteria, Protista and Plantae; and 50 species of Animalia (spread among members of the phyla Porifera, Cnidaria, Annelida, Mollusca, Arthropoda, Echinodermata, and Chordata).
- Understand the principles of marine ecology and be able to describe the major marine habitats (including intertidal and subtidal zones, coral reefs, estuaries, and rift zones).
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences