Students will apply laboratory techniques learned in CHE350A to synthesize , purify and identify organic compounds including alcohols, aldehydes, aromatics, ketones, ethers, esters, amides and amines. The experiments will be done on a small scale approach or microscale. Contact hours for this laboratory course (45) are based on a 3:1 ratio, i.e. 3 Lab hours= 1 lecture hour equivalent.
- Apply Chemical procedure in the Laboratory following safety guidelines
- Conduct miniscale and/or microscale synthesis reactions for organic compounds.
- Sketch the extraction techniques to be use in the separation of mixtures of organic compounds.
- Examine Spectroscopic data from infrared, proton nuclear magnetic resonance, and ultraviolet to identify unknown samples
- Predict the major product of a chemical reaction based on the reaction’s mechanism.
- Develop his/her own flow chart for the experimental procedure to follow during the experiment.
- Identifying and explaining sources of errors that might have affected the expected result
- Write scientific laboratory reports following the American Chemical Society ( ACS) Style Guide
Recommended: Prior completion of
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences