Students will learn how to apply common laboratory techniques to determine the structure and the chemical properties of alkanes, alkenes, alcohols, alkyl halides, acids and esters. The experiments will be done on a small scale approach or microscale. Contact hours for this laboratory course (45) are based on a 3:1 ratio, i.e. 3 Lab hours= 1 lecture hour equivalent.
- Apply microscale laboratory techniques following safety guidelines.
- Apply computational software to analyze molecular models.
- Interpret solubility tables to purify solids by recrystallization.
- Explain the relationship between melting point and chemical structure.
- Differentiate between distillation techniques.
- Compare chromatography as a method of purification and to apply results to identify unknown.
- Design a method of separation of mixture of compounds using acid base extraction.
- Experiment the extraction caffeine from coffee.
- Demonstrate that alkenes can be prepared from alcohols.
- Experiment the synthesis of aspirin
- Apply analytical techniques such as infrared (IR) and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) to identify an unknown.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 170,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences