General chemistry topics important for higher level chemistry and science courses: thermodynamics, reaction kinetics, and quantum mechanics. Successful completion of a college algebra course is required for enrollment in this course.
- Name and classify inorganic compounds.
- Determine empirical and molecular formulas from empirical data.
- Balance chemical equations and use stoichiometric relationships and the mole concept to calculate product and reactant amounts.
- Identify different types of reactions (precipitation, neutralization, oxidation-reduction) and predict the outcome of these reactions.
- Explain the first law of thermodynamics and the role of energy and enthalpy in chemical reactions and perform thermochemical calculations.
- Explain the basic concepts of quantum theory, determine the electron configurations of atoms, and use periodic trends to make predictions about atomic properties.
- Explain theories of chemical bonding and determine the molecular geometry of molecules using VSEPR theory.
- Apply gas laws and kinetic molecular theory to processes involving gases.
Students are expected to attend all class sessions, actively participate in class activities and discussions, complete examinations as scheduled, and to turn in all assignments on time. Students are also expected to read all assigned material to the class session in which the material is presented and be prepared to contribute to discussion and dialogue.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 175,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences