Survey of marine habitats for fish species identification and quantification; survey of marine mammal (dolphins and manatees) ecology and behavior; identification of sea turtle species nesting and ecology; assessment of sea grass health and species identification; coral identification and health; ecosystem health and methods of monitoring. Species list composition, biopsying techniques, and basics of biological field work. Taught in a field laboratory in Turneffe Atoll, Belize; requires international travel. Contact instructor for approval and additional requirements.
- Evaluate the different approaches and techniques to problem solving in the field of Marine Biology.
- Analyze the relationships among physical and chemical properties of seawater such as salinity, temperature, density and dissolved oxygen as they relate to ecosystem health.
- Apply different laboratory techniques in the collection and preservation of marine bacteria, phytoplankton, plants, invertebrates and vertebrates.
- Apply knowledge of invertebrate taxonomy, habitat and ethology.
- Evaluate appropriate survey techniques in the analysis of different marine ecosystems and vertebrate fauna.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences