Study of the flora, fauna, and biomes of California. This course includes field trips, with sites selected for each academic center within the University.
- Discuss common and distinctive plant and animal species in California.
- Identify at least 20 animal and 20 plant species that are native and/or endemic to California.
- Describe the biotic and abiotic features of California’s biomes.
- Describe montane habitats and biomes in California, including the Sierra Nevada and Coastal Ranges.
- Describe freshwater and coastal marine habitats in California.
- Describe major terrestrial habitats and biomes in California, including the Central Valley, chaparral, and deserts.
- Discuss the major federal and state reserves and parks in California.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 170,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences