Examination of the structure and function of the immune components, including the complement system, innate and adaptive responses, and immune cell signaling. Analysis of fundamental concepts such as antibodies, antigens, antigen-antibody complexes, allergic reactions, lymphatic and hematopoietic systems, cancer, and autoimmune and immunodeficiency diseases.
- Explain the historical milestones in cellular and molecular immunology.
- Describe the key structures and functions of fundamental immune cells including neutrophils, monocytes/macrophages, B cells, and T cells.
- Evaluate the principles of the innate and adaptive immune responses including complement system, major histocompatibility complex class I and II, Toll-like receptors, interferons, interleukins, and vaccination.
- Explain the cellular and humoral immunity, including the development of lymphocytes and activation of the immune responses.
- Evaluate the role of the immune system in human diseases such as: AIDS, allergy, autoimmune disorders, and cancer.
- Analyze immunology case studies and peer-reviewed research articles in immunology.
- Analyze immunological research and techniques including novel development of cutting edge immunology-based drugs and diagnostic approaches.
Textbook: The Immune System. 4th Edition. 2014. Peter Parham. Garland Science.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences