Survey of the form and function of diverse life forms on earth. Describes representative members of the various kingdoms within the framework of evolutionary ecology and conservation. Includes current issues in habitat loss, extinctions, preservation of tropical rain forests and coral reefs, resource values for humans and restoration ecology.
- Identify members of phyla, and name representative taxa and describe their characteristics.
- Explain evolutionary processes and adaptive radiation within the different phyla.
- Describe the varying extinction rates throughout geological history (causes and consequences).
- Describe the human impact upon habitat loss, species richness, and the health of Earth’s biosphere.
- Explain the roles and methods of restoration ecology (including agencies and organizations that are actively engaged in this technique).
- Discuss the importance of protecting and preserving bio-diversity (ecological reasons, and human benefits such as medicine, food, interaction with indigenous cultures, eco-tourism, etc.).
Recommended: Prior completion of
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 175,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences