Provides a theoretical basis for understanding the body’s acute and chronic adaptations to the stresses of exercise. Emphasis is given to systems physiology, the neuromuscular and cardiovascular bases of training responses, vascular physiology, energy production, cardiopulmonary function, and the significance of these effects for health and performance. Emphasis will be placed upon the practical application of exercise physiology principles to coaching, teaching, and other physical training practices.
- Describe the acute and chronic physiological changes that occur in the body in response to exercise stress.
- Describe the mechanisms responsible for the response and adaptation of the major organ systems of the body to the stress of exercise, including neuromuscular, cardiovascular, musculoskeletal and endocrine.
- Differentiate the physiological metabolic processes that govern human movement and apply each of these processes to physical performance.
- Apply the concepts essential for the development of individualized training programs.
- Apply concepts of exercise physiology to such allied areas as diet and nutrition, health and disease, drugs and ergogenic aids, and sports medicine.
Students are expected to attend all class sessions, actively participate in class activities and discussions, complete examinations as scheduled, and to turn in all assignments on time. Students are also expected to read all assigned material prior to the class session in which the material is presented and be prepared to contribute to discussion and dialogue.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences