Evolutionary biology. Topics include the history of life, fossil record, causes of microevolution (including natural selection and mutation), macroevolutionary processes (including speciation and extinction), evolutionary genetics and developmental biology (‘evo-devo’), phylogeny construction and taxonomy.
- Appraise fundamental concepts in phylogeny and cladogram construction.
- Explain temporal patterns of biodiversity, including the history of life on Earth and the fossil record.
- Describe agents of microevolution, including natural selection, mutation, genetic drift and gene flow.
- Explain the phylogenetic and biological species concepts.
- Explain macroevolutionary processes, including speciation and extinction.
- Explain the developmental and genetic influences on morphological evolution.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences