Principles of genetics and heredity. Topics include DNA replication and repair, gene expression and regulation, inheritance of traits, genetic engineering, relationship of genetics to human health, and application of genetics to understanding the evolution of species.
- Describe DNA as the molecule of heredity.
- Explain how genetic traits are transmitted according to Mendelian laws along two or more loci, and solve testcross experiments.
- Discuss patterns of human inheritance and genetic disorders.
- Explain the molecular mechanisms of replication, gene expression and regulation.
- Describe the fundamentals of genetic engineering and cloning.
- Explain the molecular mechanisms underlying mutations and DNA repair.
- Describe the evolutionary relationships among species at the molecular level.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 165,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences