Laboratory course in general biology intended for science majors. Topics include the application of the scientific method, examination of cellular processes (eg. respiration, photosynthesis, mitosis, meiosis), Mendelian genetics, operation of basic laboratory equipment, taxonomic classification, and investigations of structure and function of prokaryotes, protists, fungi, plants, and animals.
- Apply the scientific method, including drawing testable hypotheses from observations and data.
- Examine abiotic influences on enzymatic activity.
- Examine cellular respiration, photosynthesis, mitosis, and meiosis.
- Predict patterns of inheritance according to Mendelian genetics.
- Demonstrate proficiency in techniques such as DNA isolation and gel electrophoresis.
- Operate compound and dissecting microscopes, including the preparation of wet mounts and staining of specimens.
- Classify organisms according to basic principles of taxonomy, including the use of a taxonomic key.
- Explain the structure of prokaryotic cells, as well as differences between major groups of prokaryotes.
- Discuss the structure and function of protists, including amoeboids, flagellates, and ciliates.
- Describe the structure and function of macroscopic fungi, including dissection and labeling of important anatomical features.
- Describe the structure and function of plants, including the dissection and labeling of important anatomical features in mosses, ferns, gymnopserms, and angiosperms.
- Describe the structure and function of invertebrates and vertebrates, including the dissection and labeling of important anatomical features.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences