General Biology 1
General Biology 1
Fundamental concepts of biochemistry, cell biology, genetics. Concepts include important organic molecules, cell structure and function, metabolism and enzyme activity, cellular respiration and photosynthesis, DNA structure, meiosis and mitosis, Mendelian genetics. Intended for science majors.
- Describe fundamental concepts in chemistry and biochemistry, including the properties of water, important organic molecules, acids and bases.
- Explain cell structure and function, and the difference between prokaryotes and eukaryotes.
- Describe metabolism at the cellular level, including enzyme activity, cellular respiration, and photosynthesis.
- Explain the cell cycle, mitosis, and meiosis.
- Describe DNA structure and function, including replication, transcription, and translation.
- Explain Mendelian genetics and inheritance patterns.
- Calculate expected genotypic and phenotypic frequencies using Punnett squares.
Participate in all class activities, complete homework and exams as scheduled, and turn in all assignments on time. A midterm and a final are given in the class. One or more written assignments, including research papers, are required for successful completion of this course.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences