Study of the unifying principles of life with emphasis placed on the following topics: molecular biology of the cell and cellular processes, including energy metabolism, membrane transport and cell division; classical genetics; population genetics; and the mechanism of evolution and the evolutionary basis of species classification. This laboratory course will complement the student’s knowledge of biology with demonstrations and experiments. Contact hours for this laboratory course (45) are based on a 3:1 ratio, i.e. 3 lab hours = 1 lecture hour equivalent.
- Employ scientific method in the design and analysis of laboratory-based inquiry in biology.
- Explain the cell structure of prokaryotes and eukaryotes, including differences between plant and animal cells.
- Describe important cellular processes, including cellular respiration, photosynthesis, mitosis, and meiosis.
- Predict patterns of inheritance according to Mendelian genetics.
- Describe and correlate the structure and function of biologically important molecules, including DNA and enzymes.
- Explain fundamental body organization and tissues in macroscopic eukaryotic organisms (i.e., fungi, plants, animals).
- Compare and contrast morphology, physiology, and phylogenetic relationships among major taxonomic groups of plants and animals.
- Classify organisms according to basic principles of taxonomy.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 175,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences