Prepare to become a middle or secondary school English or language arts teacher with a Bachelor of Arts in English with single subject matter preparation for teaching. The BA in English literature program is approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Students who complete this program, including the required portfolio, will not be required to take the California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET) in English to receive their teaching credential. To fulfill the single subject matter preparation standards mandated by the state of California, the BA online degree program requires additional study in certain areas beyond what is required by the regular major in English. In order to receive the equivalency letter, students must also submit a portfolio of work produced in program courses; the requirements of the portfolio are covered in ENG 300.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Knowledgeably discuss major writers, works, movements, and periods of the British and American literary traditions.
- Evaluate the relationship of marginalized or oppositional voices to the evolution of literary traditions and histories.
- Identify major critical approaches to the interpretation of works of literature.
- Compose sophisticated written works of literary analysis, incorporating appropriate close reading, research, and writing skills.
- Identify issues and challenges confronting middle and secondary school English teachers in the public schools.
- Discuss language structures, language acquisition, linguistic diversity and the development of literacy.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences