In this independent ‘studio practicum’, taken concurrently with SCR 681, students develop a second ‘polished draft’ of an original screenplay guided by critical feedback provided by the instructor. The original screenplay will receive a minimum of two individual critical reviews. Grading is H, S, or U only.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the underlying principles of rewriting a screenplay, including (but not limited to) the three-act structure, advancing dramatic or comedic conflict, refining dynamic characters, and telling a story visually.
- Through critical analysis and in a formal, graduate level essay, reflect upon the experience of rewriting the screenplay.
- Incorporate relevant creative notes in the revision of a screenplay based on consultation with the professor.
- Generate a revised draft of a feature length screenplay that incorporates methods of characterization, dialog, alternative ideas for scenes, and other story elements.
- Engage in critical dialog with peers and mentors that supports and advances the screenplay revision process.
- Use the accepted format for screenplays, and incorporate aspects of visual storytelling that separate screenplay form from other forms of writing.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 175,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences