In this independent ‘studio practicum’ taken after SCR 680 Screenwriting I, students develop a ‘first draft’ of an original screenplay guided by practical assignments developed by the instructor. The original draft screenplay will receive a minimum of two individual critical reviews. Grading is H, S, or U only.
- Apply the underlying principles for writing a screenplay, including the three-act structure, creating dramatic or comedic conflict, developing dynamic characters, and telling a story visually.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in the screenplay form including appropriate formatting, writing of dialog and expression of visual thinking.
- Evaluate the creative process of screenwriting
- Revise the logline for a feature film to reflect a deeper sense of the tools learned during the writing process.
- Generate a first draft of an original screenplay that includes: a. action expressed dramatically and visually b. multi-dimensional major and secondary characters c. well-constructed scenes that utilize action and dramatic storytelling d. clearly defined protagonist and antagonist e. indication of character arc for central characters.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences