This seminar focuses on screenplay analysis as an essential tool of the film and television industry. The core components of screenplays are explored including the three act structure, characterization, dialog, tone, theme and voice. Students learn to write ‘coverage’ including synopses and producer-appropriate commentary.
- Evaluate varied source material including magazine articles, documentaries, short stories and screenplays from the perspective of structure, characterization, dialog, the three act structure, tone and theme.
- Analyze how these components work together in the screenplay format.
- Research how and why various production companies and film and television studios search for material and how coverage is part of this process.
- Critique professional examples of screenplay analysis.
- Integrate learned elements of screenplay analysis such as synopsis and commentary and apply them by creating original screenplay coverage.
- Synthesize constructive criticism in order to revise coverage.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 175,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences