An exploration of ethical theories as they inform and are applied to contemporary environmental issues such as animal rights, habitat loss, species extinction, pollution, industrialization, population control, ecofeminism and political ecology. Western cultural and ecological assumptions are examined through the lenses of humanitarian, eco-centric, utilitarian, deontological, and ethics-of-care perspectives.
- Articulate and critically reflect on a variety of ethical perspectives on environmental issues.
- Demonstrate an understanding of different ethical views regarding human responsibility for their environment and the aggregations of species that inhabit it.
- Demonstrate a familiarity with the fundamental issues addressed by ecologists and philosophers working in the field of environmental ethics such as finding a balance between development through consumption of natural resources and stewardship through conservation of resources and the possibility of establishing a common set of values that result in shared responsibilities for the environment by all stakeholders.
- Identify the relevance of different ethical and cultural traditions throughout the world in the acknowledgement and resolution of environmental problems.
- Identify and critically reflect on both historical and contemporary social movements and leading individuals who have had important impact on environmental issues.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how scientific principles and ethical systems can be conjoined to foster environmental awareness and develop practical solutions to environmental problems.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences