Real-World Critical Thinking
Introduction to the fundamentals of logic and critical thinking. Focuses on the core skills of logical analysis, argumentation, recognition of fallacious reasoning, linguistic structural analysis, introductory levels of propositional and categorical argumentation, and various forms of inductive reasoning. Broadens the student’s abilities to engage in the lifelong-learning processes of self-inquiry and self-reflection and promotes effective communication and an awareness of diverse perspectives in all areas of thought and inquiry.
- Demonstrate a firm grasp of logical concepts and critical-thinking skills through the creation of arguments, written critiques, and position papers in which the student expresses and assesses his or her own beliefs and ideas and assesses and evaluates the beliefs and ideas of others.
- Recognize the importance of seeing issues from diverse perspectives in fostering self-reflection, curiosity, civic-mindedness, personal initiative, and intellectual independence throughout one’s lifetime.
- Utilize principles of logic and critical thinking as tools that support lifelong learning and enable a comprehensive approach to tasks requiring analysis and evaluation of competing points of view.
- Critically assess the credibility and value of information sources and various forms of media that purport to transmit knowledge and information.
- Identify arguments, reasons, conclusions, premises, and suppressed assumptions present in all areas of human discourse.
- Recognize the kinds of ambiguities that cloud language and the formal and informal fallacies that obscure rational thinking in all areas of life.
- Compose a sophisticated argumentative research paper that critically analyzes, evaluates, and responds to another author’s argument for a position on a significant issue using the particular formatting and documentation style appropriate to their discipline.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences