Introduction to the craft of screenwriting, particularly in regards to the principles of narrative and storytelling, traditional three-act structure, character, and dialogue. Through intensive reading and writing exercises, along with workshop critiques, students produce a finished treatment and the beginning of a feature-length screenplay.
- Develop view, read, analyze, and evaluate published and produced scripts for the purpose of understanding the major constituent elements of a traditional screenplay.
- Identify the individual components of a successful screenplay.
- Understand the traditional three-act structure and its elements, including initial conflict, rising action, climax, falling action, and denouement.
- Generate a compelling and coherent plot of the level that would sustain a feature- length film.
- Create multi-faceted and complex characters, and be able to create effective dialogue.
- Produce a complete and compact treatment, which successfully conveys their script idea in an engaged and compact format.
- Produce a successful and significant sample of a screenplay draft.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences